The following are items all visitors should bring to make their experience at Gomde California as comfortable as possible. There are also items that will be helpful but aren’t required, and others that aren’t allowed on the land for sake of the community’s safety.
Make Sure to Bring
- Clothing you can layer depending on variable temperatures: t-shirts, vests, sweaters, long pants to protect legs, and socks.
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can easily be taken on and off, as shoes are not permitted in the Buddha Hall. Remember that you will be walking to the teachings, campground, and meals on trails that can be dusty and uneven.
- Shawl or blanket for the cool evenings.
- Personal toiletries, best are unscented and biodegradable products, including insect repellent, poison oak block, wipes, tissues and soaps.
- Sunhat, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Personal water bottle
- Mosquito repellent
Optional, But Recommended
- Ground mat for possible outdoor meditation sessions
- Rangjung Yeshe Chantbook
- Swimsuit, towel, river shoes or sandals
- Kata, a ceremonial scarf for final day’s offering
- Daypack for hikes or river use
- Raincoat or small folding umbrella (just in case!)
Any food that is brought on to Gomde land must be stored in a secure place. Remember, we share the property with bears and other wildlife. Please see Gomde staff if you have food that needs to be securely stored.
Please Do Not Bring
- Camp stoves (no fires allowed)
- Candles, incense or matches
- Firearms or other weapons
- Illegal drugs or alcohol